sh and sigtstp problem.

chris%umcp-cs%udel-relay at sri-unix.UUCP chris%umcp-cs%udel-relay at sri-unix.UUCP
Tue Aug 2 08:27:25 AEST 1983

From:  Chris Torek <chris%umcp-cs at udel-relay>

	From: JPAYNE at BBNG

	... I tried Pausing emacs under /bin/sh and emacs simply
	returned immediately and repainted the screen.

	... The kernel remembers whether or not the new signal
	mechanism has been used in any way ....  Perhaps the kernel
	refuses to send signals greater than 16, when the new
	mechanism hasn't been used, so that old programs don't break.

	... when a program that uses sigset etc.  decides to kill its
	process group, the kernel says "Okay ...."

	Sound plausible? or am I still confused?

That was my initial thought.  However, your first example disproves
it.  Emacs uses the new signal mechanism!  Also, I took a look into
the kernel code and came up with ... nothing.  The code which sends
signals just calls psignal on the appropriate processes.  There may
be something special in psignal; it'll take more digging on my part
before I'm sure.

				- Chris