enhanced cron.c, anyone?

Dave Lukes pdl at root44.UUCP
Wed Aug 3 08:15:12 AEST 1983

Yawn, yawn: we run standard system III here, which has the same cron that all
you 4.1BSD people have, and we run programs under all sorts of UIDs by using su.
(This is very easy under SIII, since su will given any extra args it's given
to the shell it runs, thus you can say `su bin -c "any command you like"'.
Even with 4.1BSD you can do the same thing with `su bin <filename', I suspect.
(Or maybe even `su bin <<!command1%command2%!' for all you cronophiles !).

BTW: what about having a kludge to allow arbitrary GIDs as well as UIDs for
commands to run under.

So: who needs a new cron (or indeed anything new)?

(BTBTW: while you're thinking about cron how about the following bug,
which has existed since before the dark ages ?: cron only consults the time
ONCE, when it starts: if it's wrong, crons idea of the time STAYS wrong forever.
Yuk. It's an easy fix, and while you're at it you can get it to sleep until
the next jobs got to be done, thus saving it looking in the table every minute
when it knows perfectly well that there's absolutely nothing to do.
And while you're doing that you can speed up the table search .... ad infinitum).

			Enjoy !
				Dave Lukes (...!vax135!ukc!root44!pdl)