Help on bringing up UN*X (2nd try)

Rick Genter reg at vaxine.UUCP
Mon Aug 29 21:20:25 AEST 1983

(This is a second attempt at posting.  Indications are that this item was
severely truncated the first time it went out.)

     We are in the process of bringing up UN*X on our newly acquired 780, and
are having a few problems:

	- our 780 has the new DEC memory controller with the 64K chips and
	  hardware interleaving.  When it comes up it reports

		nexus type 6c unsupported at tr 1

	  which we have determined is the new memory controller.  Looking at
	  /sys/dev/autoconf.c, sure enough, there is no case for said con-
	  troller.

	  Question: has anyone added NEX_MEM64I to /sys/h/nexus.h (and the
		    appropriate initialization code to autoconf.c)?

	- we have a TU78 on our 780.  We have a driver that doesn't seem
	  to work too well.  After sitting quiescent for a while, the console
	  started spewing out millions of

		mt: unit 0 random interrupt

	  messages.  This continued for about 20 minutes, after which it
	  stopped for a couple of hours, then repeated for another 20 minutes.
	  At this point we were no longer able to access the tape drive and in
	  fact had to reboot to get the tape drive back.

	  Question: does anyone have a working, *tested* driver for TU-78s?

	- we have also heard that the driver for the DMF-32 isn't so hot.

	  Question: Can anyone confirm this, and if this is true, does anyone
		    have a better driver available?

     Please *mail* any replies to me directly.

					Rick Genter
					Automatix Inc.
					reg at vaxine.UUCP