secretmail and proper credit

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sat Dec 17 08:28:27 AEST 1983

A small correction to a previous posting:  in my reply to allegra!don's
comments about proper credit for 4.xBSD software, I had followed his
attribution of vcat (the guts of vtroff) to Mike Tilson.  This wasn't
quite correct.  I was around U of T at the time but never had a clear
idea of exactly who had done what on vcat, and the passage of time
didn't help.  The proper credits for vcat are roughly as follows:

	Bill Reeves	most of vcat, and the font editor
	Tom Duff	the inner loop of vcat, in pdp11 assembler
	Rob Pike	the (unreleased) precursor to vcat (called vd)
	Mike Tilson	miscellaneous optimizations

The distributed source for vcat had Reeves, Pike, Tilson in the heading,
and Duff in the lone .s file.  My thanks to Rob Pike for refreshing my
memory on this.

Is anybody from Berkeley listening?  Could you perhaps dig out the
U of T licence you signed years ago and re-read the part about being
required to give proper credit?
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology