Here ye, Here ye, Here ye!

shawn%mit-dspg at BRL.ARPA shawn%mit-dspg at BRL.ARPA
Sat Dec 17 02:31:09 AEST 1983

I'v had it, not knowing what bugs are where, and why they
are there, etc, and I think there are a great many people who feel
as I do. So here is my offer:

Send me your bugs: ALL YOUR BUGS! I don't care what version
of unix/xenix/un*x they are, please send me the following information:

1)	Your name & address & company (this will give you credit as
					haveing reported it)
2)	The name & address of the bug finder, if different.
3)	The bug, what happens, what it looks like when it happens.
4)	The cause, why it happens, as detailed as possable.
5)	The bug fix, if available, or possable.
6)	Any operator action possable to recover from the problem.
7)	What version of unix/xenix/un*x this is in, i.e.
	"BDS UNIX V4.1", or "V1.2 TRS-XENIX", and such.
8)	Any remarks you have on the subject.

(Did I leave out anything? Well send that too).

Here is the deal: (your pay for doing this service to the comunity):

1)	You get full credit. However:
	If 2 people send me the same bug, I will include
	the one with the most information on the bug).
2)	You will get a copy of the final list when compiled.
3)	Maybe the folks who maintain your version of the operating
	system will send me mail asking for a copy of the list,
	and they will fix there own bugs from it. (posting a message
	to me saying that the bug was fixed in version x.x,
	so that I can hack that into the list).

Also, to try to preserve security a little, I will send a copy only
to people with at least a binary licence, (I know, this sounds hard,
but its not, I will ask people send me a phone number that I may
contact them at, I will call them, and ask they send me a xerox copy
of something proveing that they in fact, have a binary licence).
The way I see it, if you have a binary licence, you will find the bugs
anyway.

Yes, I have a binary licence, and am willing to mail xerox copies out
to people who really need to see it. (though I hate useing U.S. Snail).

I (once I start sending out copies of the list), will also send out
bugs as they come in more or less, (I will wait till I get say 10
new bugs, before mailing out an update), and then add them into say
the big bug list that may go out say once a year, or every 6 months.

Please also note: I prefer arpanet mail, as its the most likely to get to me.
Any uucp mail, please make it loop back, so you know if it got to my machine
or if you should re-send it. I would much rather get 2 copies of a bug,
then none at all.

I hope this will not start a hell fire of flamage as to why its a bad
thing. I think its about the best idea I have had in a while.

Thank you for your time, and hope to hear from lots of you soon.

		Yours In Hacking,
		  -- Shawn

Shawn F. Mckay, Unix Hacker at large.

Arpa:	Shawn at Mit-Ml
Uucp:	decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!mit-dspg!futura!shawn
Chaos:	Shawn at Mit-Ml