Do I have swap problems?

hazard at ihuxe.UUCP hazard at ihuxe.UUCP
Sat Dec 17 02:48:51 AEST 1983

A question for anyone running Unix  version  7.   If  there  were
read/write  errors  with  the  swap  area  on the disk, would the
master terminal print the I/O error messages?  I have often  seen
messages of the type:

        error on device 6/7
        bn=000000 ...

This is fine and dandy for devices which have major/minor  device
numbers,  but /dev has no entry for "swap".  The operating system
occasionally  crashed  with  "PANIC:  trap   type   1"   (illegal
instruction).  I  suspect  that  a  process which was swapped was
incorrectly read into memory.

As I don't have access to the source, maybe someone out there
can investigate for me.

Bryant S. Hazard
ihnp4!ihuxe!hazard
(312) 979-1829