Local system calls in 4.2bsd

pag at hao.UUCP pag at hao.UUCP
Wed Dec 7 11:05:28 AEST 1983

In 4.1bsd, sysent[62] was "reserved for local sites".  I made mods to
4.1 to use it as local system call indirect which directs you to a
"secondary" sysent[] table (loc_sysent[]).  This method enables a site
to add local system calls without conflicting with the standard ones.
We had to do this for NCAR's custom NSC Hyperchannel network.  The
changes are pretty simple -- a minor mod to trap.c, creation of the
loc_sysent[] table, etc.  In porting this change to 4.2, I discovered
much to my dismay that sysent[62] is used for fstat, and there is no
replacement.  Since the change does need one sysent[] slot, my choice
has been to add one on at the end (151).  Is there any official policy
about this?  Why did they take away the reserved-to-local-site slot?

--peter gross
hao!pag

PS.  If anyone wants the changes, let me know.  I will either mail them,
     or if there are sufficient requests, post them to the net.