vi global ops smash undo registers

bob%ucla-locus at sri-unix.UUCP bob%ucla-locus at sri-unix.UUCP
Wed Dec 7 08:43:35 AEST 1983

From:            Bob English <bob at ucla-locus>

Maybe this fact is buried somewhere in the bowels of the vi
documentation, but I recently discovered, to my chagrin, that
global operations clear vi's "undo" registers, whether they do
anything or not.  Not only does ":u" or "u" fail, but all the
numerical buffers are cleared as well.

There may be some deep reason for this (vi may use those
registers internally to save the reams for information necessary
for a global undo) but I think it still qualifies as a bug.

--bob--