Problem (bug?) with vi

Yale Software yale at yale-com.UUCP
Thu Dec 1 15:15:47 AEST 1983

I am posting this for a user here.  Please send any mail replies
to me.  Thanks.  --DSG

**** Forwarded Message Follows ****
>From barton Wed Nov 30 13:31:50 1983;R
Date: 30 Nov 1983 13:33:25-EST
From: barton at Yale-EEvax
To: UNIX-BUGS

I have been using the vi editor in lisp mode a lot recently, on DM1521 terminals and have the following problem:
If I type a command such as :s/bug/nobug/   , which uses an ed editor command,
(in this case to substitute the word nobug for the word bug)
the screen will scroll up by one line, and the cursor comes to rest apparently
one line below where it ought to be.  It seems as though the VAX is unaware
that screen scrolling occurred.  Doing a ctrl-l will re-write the screen
correctly.
     A similar problem occurs when I hit a single return, and the cursor drops
two lines.  This is not just key-bounce, since if I then use the up-arrow key
to move up one line, the cursor moves up two lines.  It is too much for
coincidence that I should get key-bounce twice in a row.  Again, the
use of ctrl-l to rewrite the screen fixes it, but is slow and annoying.

**** End of Forwarded Message ****
-------