Too many inits

vahe at iuvax.UUCP vahe at iuvax.UUCP
Wed Jun 1 09:24:35 AEST 1983

Yes, somebody took the time to "set that guy straight"; mainly, myself.
The reason I posted to the net was that we had had renegade inits for a
couple of days (trying to reboot while the system was still up....), which
turned out to be an easily corrected problem (somebody typing "init -"
while SU!). When I saw the five inits idle, I was so exasperated that I
thought this was a genuine bug.  I certainly didn't expect the kind of
response I got.

Out of the deluge of responses I received, all except one re-read init(8)
to me.  That one person was the only one who gave me enough credit, and
said something like: "well, this is the normal order of things; if it
doesn't apply, I don't know what your problem is".  Nobody else bothered
wondering if I did have a genuine problem.

Yes, I should've phrased my question more carefully.  I just didn't think
there were people on the net immature enough to retort as they did.

Vahe Sarkissian