new Unix neophytes newsgroup

heh%berkeley at csuf.UUCP heh%berkeley at csuf.UUCP
Wed Jun 8 19:19:00 AEST 1983

I don't think the idea was to keep the neophytes from reading UNIX-WIZARDS.
That might be a good idea (I certainly don't want the whole world to
know about the Latest UUCP Security Hole), but other than setting up
some sort of `authenticated' mailing list (mail in a photocopy of your
UNIX license or some such) I can't see how it would be done.

On the other hand, some of the people here get irate if a newcomer
starts asking questions that 2 minutes of looking through the Unix
Programmer's Manual would answer.  To keep the volume of `uninteresting'
mail for such people to a minimum, I think a Unix-Apprentices setup
is a great idea.  I like `INFO-UNIX' as a name, too.  And I'd even
read it and perhaps answer it, if I came upon an otherwise uninteresting
moment in time.

		-Ed Hall
		ucbvax!trw-unix!csuf!heh