Non-empty /dev/null

ron%brl-bmd at sri-unix.UUCP ron%brl-bmd at sri-unix.UUCP
Mon Jun 27 04:56:25 AEST 1983

From:      Ron Natalie <ron at brl-bmd>

According to both the BSD, UNIX V7, and experimentation with our
system, the creat on an existing writable file will not modify
the owner, mode, or change the file type from special to regular,
but merely attempt to truncate it to zero length (regardless of
whether the invoker was root or not).  My observation is the only
way to zap /dev/null is to remove it first.

My previous employer also had some marvelous utility for going around
and checking on the placement, modes, and owners of system files.
He's going to be at the Toronto giving a talk on a related topic

of his.  The name in Martin McGowan from CCI.  I don't have any
network mail addresses for him.

-Ron