Non-empty /dev/null

ellis at flairvax.UUCP ellis at flairvax.UUCP
Sat Jun 25 09:23:07 AEST 1983

    Our 4.1bsd system will let me create a file called '/dev/null' if
    I am running as root. The original fake device is thereby destroyed.
    This has accidentally happened to me several times. Same goes for
    '/dev/tty', which can cause REAL problems.

    As far as I can see, there is no reason to allow this to happen.
    Anyone else familiar with this problem ? Suggestions - Solutions ?

    Michael Ellis - Fairchild AI Lab - Palo Alto CA - (415) 858 4270