raw/cooked single char i/o

z at cca.UUCP z at cca.UUCP
Thu Jun 16 22:57:21 AEST 1983

Shortly after 4.1BSD came out, I made some rather trivial mods to the
kernel to add L8BIT, a new bit in the local mode word of the tty driver.
Setting L8BIT allows you to transmit and receive all eight bits in
either cooked or CBREAK mode.  My inspiration was also a terminal with a
META key; I wanted to use all eight bits but still have flow control.  I
tried convincing Berkeley to incorporate this into 4.2BSD, but they
weren't interested.  If there is sufficient interest, I can post these
mods to the net.

	Steve Zimmerman