raw/cooked single char i/o

ellis at flairvax.UUCP ellis at flairvax.UUCP
Thu Jun 16 05:43:00 AEST 1983

    While we're on this topic, does anyone out there have any idea
    how to switch back & forth between 7-bit & 8-bit character input
    modes WITHOUT flushing queued input characters ?

    Currently, switching to RAW mode is the only way to get all 8 bits,
    and doing this (even if you use TIOCSETN) causes input flushing.

    This is all for a program that reads from a keyboard with a META-shift
    key (which sets the 'parity' bit) and then executes programs expecting
    the normal UNIX tty environment. Currently, all type-ahead is lost.

    I realize that several kernel mods would be required to do what I want..

    Michael Ellis - Fairchild AI Lab - Palo Alto CA - (415) 858 4270