Dec support for Unix on 11s??

scw%ucla-locus at cepu.UUCP scw%ucla-locus at cepu.UUCP
Fri Jun 17 00:38:00 AEST 1983

From:  Steve Woods <cepu!scw at ucla-locus>

	The new DEC Micro/PDP-11 Handbook which I got yesterday has a section on
	Unix which starts with the sentence "Digital supports Bell Laboratories'
	UNIX Timesharing System Version 7 on the Micro/PDP-11 under the name
	V7M-11."  The catalog which came with it has no mention of V7M-11 or Unix.

The Los Angeles Local UNIX users group had a speaker from DEC about a month
ago. This gentleman (Jan Griska) is the project manager for DEC's UNIX support
group. He stated explicitly that DEC IS supporting UNIX (binary licenses only)
and has put a fairly large effort into the job. In particular drivers that
perform error logging, a error log reporter, a crash dump analyser. DEC will
also have Telephone Software Consulting (from Denver) and DDC (telephone
diagnostics , also from Denver). In addition they have a UNIX VMS style
diagnostic package. All field offices will have training in UNIX (for your CE).
(Mr. Griska's Phone # is (603)-844-5947) He said (aprox) `you may have to bug
your local office some to get this implemented locally`. DEC is also planning
support for VAXEN. One of our members stated that he had it (from a reliable
source) that at least 50% of all VAXEN run unix, DEC thinks that at least 30%
do so. All of the VAX users in our group run VMS only for diagnostics (e.i. when
the CE is there).