diagnosis needed: v7 losing controlling ttys, etc.

utzoo!utcsrgv!utcsstat!geoff utzoo!utcsrgv!utcsstat!geoff
Wed May 18 03:46:45 AEST 1983

We are running v7, with all major known bug fixes applied, on an 11/70
with 1/2 Mb of memory and two 300M byte disk drives on a Systems
Industries controller, emulating the DEC RM05 controller.  We have some
locally written device drivers, but they have been examined fairly
carefully.  Frequently a process (often a shell) loses its controlling
terminal and appears to have no controlling terminal.  This makes
interrupt, quit and hangups impossible to generate from the terminal
for these processes.  Less often, a directory may lose all
permissions.  The time of day sometimes loses 20 minutes per day.
Sometimes the system echoes characters typed but doesn't run any
processes.

Has anyone else ever seen these symptoms? If so, please send me mail.

Geoff Collyer, U. of Toronto		decvax!utzoo!utcsstat!geoff