Any details on "the Newcastle Connec - (nf)

jmc at root44.UUCP jmc at root44.UUCP
Sat May 28 07:34:52 AEST 1983

We felt that the idea of the "Newcastle Connection" suffered from the
following problems.

1.	'Chroot' not blocking 'cd /..' was a v7 bug fixed in System III
	and, I believe BSD.  It is therefore arguably a retrograde step
	to reintroduce what people have deemed a bug and have dealt with.

2.	You have to recompile every program you ever heard of (for every
	new release of the package, or where you want to change some network
	protocol) which MIGHT POSSIBLY EVER want to talk to a remote machine,
	to include the appropriate version of /lib/libc.a
	Obviously this must include your shell (on every machine), plus all
	the utilities.  Personally, I prefer to hack the kernel.

3.	I would require convincing that the right things get executed on the
	right machines with the right links when you do things like

		cd /../m1/dir1
		../../m2/bin/xyz | ../../m3/bin/lpr ../../m4/dir2/file

	I am sure that you need some kind of syntax to do routing.

4.	Having everything in user space worries me - can you really recover
	happily from every interrupt/quit/kill -9?

5.	Every path name and file descriptor has to be scrutinised -
	sounds rather expensive, but statistics required.

All in all, a nice idea, but I think it's the wrong way to implement it.
Any comments on my views?

John Collins,
Root Computers Ltd,
	....!vax135!ukc!root44!jmc