Status of 4.2BSD "user supplied" software

sdyer%bbn-unix at sri-unix.UUCP sdyer%bbn-unix at sri-unix.UUCP
Sun Oct 9 05:15:18 AEST 1983

From:  Steve Dyer <sdyer at bbn-unix>

I would appreciate it if someone at Berkeley could clarify the status
of the user supplied software which comes with the 4.2BSD distribution.
In our case, 4.2BSD can be used on our VAXes for TCP/IP research, but
because of the incredibly restrictive Berkeley license, we are not
using it on any of our other CPUs, nor can we incorporate 4.2BSD
kernel or user software into our other machines.  (This is not entirely
a blast at UCB--clearly this comes as a result of our lawyers balking.)

However, there is a significant amount of other stuff in the distribution
which has been available through other means--for example, the ICON
distribution and the "fixed" UUCP.  At least in the case of UUCP, I have
been trying to get it through these other channels, all the time fighting
unsuccessfully with UUCP mail lossages.  Now I have it im my lap, and I
want to know:  CAN I USE THIS STUFF?  Does our license agreement with
Berkeley, which delimited the ways in which we can use 4.2BSD material,
also hold for the user supplied software?

I know, some will say "that's a question for your own laywers to answer."
Probably, but I think that this issue will be faced by other sites, and
I'd like to know if there is a common consensus.

/Steve Dyer
sdyer at bbncca
decvax!{wivax,genrad!wjh12}!bbncca!sdyer