reply to RMS question of 10/8

chesson%shasta at sri-unix.UUCP chesson%shasta at sri-unix.UUCP
Sun Oct 9 04:51:00 AEST 1983

From:  Greg Chesson <chesson at shasta>

Q: which operating systems do you like?

A: operating systems are a necessary, and hopefully temporary, evil.
Upon reflection I can't really LIKE any of them.  Sooner or later
the OS and related baggage gets in the way.

This is not to say that operating systems and other programs cannot
be interesting.  They often are, even ones that were meant to be
products (e.g. RC4000, not on RMS list).

Until the time comes that I don't have to be aware of or knowledgeable
about an operating system in order to work effectively, I'll be using
whatever system has whatever amount of complexity and hostility
that I prefer, maybe even gnu (greg's new unix).  By the way,
if anyone out there would like to work on gnu, not to be confused with GNU,
be sure to send in a completed Form GPR (gnuing permit request) along
with schedule G  (why I am great), schedule R (computer religion),
schedule B (what I believe in), schedule U (what I used to believe in),
and I'll try to get back to you.

(well, it started off serious... but something happened in the mail driver.)