Worker displacement (I guess this qualifies as a flame...)

ica.dab%ucla-locus at sri-unix.UUCP ica.dab%ucla-locus at sri-unix.UUCP
Mon Oct 24 11:28:03 AEST 1983

From:            Dave the Wizard <ica.dab at ucla-locus>

   I find nothing at *all* amusing in the concept of technology of any
   sort pushing masses of people out of work, be they factory workers or
   *even* programmers, particularly as we head into the lower portion of
   the "job funnel".

Obviously you didn't read Bob's message very carefully.  Technology
pushing people out of work is not what he found amusing.  What he found
amusing was the irony in a group of people largely responsible for
pushing masses of people out of work, crying that someone else might do
that to *them*.

   I think that the comment recently made on this list implying that
   "programmers" don't show sympathy for displaced workers was lacking
   in both substance and tact.

I suggest that the subset of programmers who exhibit concern for this
problem or even think about it is in the minority, and that for the
general case, Bob's observation is correct.  Ask the average programmer
what he thinks of unions, for example.  Unions are the biggest voice
against technology displacing workers.

It also annoys me when people place inappropriate messages on this
mailing list, (following other inappropriate messages, of course), and
then attempt to forestall rebuttal in front of the original audience by
"moving the discussion to another list".

Dave