Worker displacement (I guess this qualifies as a flame...)

bob%ucla-locus at sri-unix.UUCP bob%ucla-locus at sri-unix.UUCP
Thu Oct 20 01:43:44 AEST 1983

From:            Bob English <bob at ucla-locus>

Actually I have very strong feelings about worker displacement, but
feel that the programming community as a whole lacks it.  I have no
illusions that masses of factory workers can be transformed into
data-base programmers.  My "chuckling attitude" was not at the problem,
but at the sudden discomfiture expressed when the jobs threatened
were programming jobs, not factory jobs.

I'm quite pessimistic about the ability of our political and
economic systems to handle the massive dislocations sure to be
caused by the rapid advances in AI, robotics, and
microprocessors, particluarly in this hair-trigger, mass-media
world.

While it pains me to have my mail misinterpreted, I'm glad you
answered: is HUMAN-NETS available to ARPA sites?

Yours in insensitivity,

--bob--