GNU considered harmful to software q - (nf)

emjej at uokvax.UUCP emjej at uokvax.UUCP
Fri Oct 21 14:04:21 AEST 1983

#R:watmath:-591900:uokvax:6200001:000:420
uokvax!emjej    Oct 12 12:47:00 1983

Anything which fills a niche (in the ecological sense) makes it hard
for a successor, even a superior one, to replace it. Look at FORTRASH.
Look, if you can stand it, at the 360 and its successors.

Indeed, look at Unix (the OS of the 70's). I hope that OS-9/68000,
which I think is a better OS, will not have as hard a time prying
Unix out of the 68000 machine market as I occasionally fear it will.

						James Jones