A sign of the times?

EPS%jpl-vax at sri-unix.UUCP EPS%jpl-vax at sri-unix.UUCP
Fri Oct 21 14:19:00 AEST 1983

From:  Eric P. Scott <EPS at jpl-vax>

Posted:	Thu  Oct 13, 1983   5:38 PM EDT              Msg: DGID-1641-7417
From:	CUST.SVC/NETWORKAPPL/TELENET
To:	Telemail
CC:	Cust.Svc
Subj:	Telemail Security Implementation

GTE Telenet is committed to providing TELEMAIL customers with the
highest quality of service possible and in that spirit urges you
to read this IMPORTANT MESSAGE very carefully.

Outlined below is information on new TELEMAIL software which we
have implemented.  Please be assured that we will help you in any
way that we can to adjust to these changes.

TELEMAIL Software Changes
-------------------------

The format for all passwords has changed.  The format requirements
for Admins and Users differ.  These requirements are as follows:

1.  Admin - Must use exactly eight (8) characters.  The first
    character must be an alphabetic.  There must be at least one
    special character and one numeric present.  (Special character
    examples are - %,#,$,&).  We do not recommend using control
    characters.

2.  User - Must use a minimum of six (6) characters of any type.
    We strongly recommend that every User follow the special/
    numeric character rules of the Admins.  Again, we do not
    recommend control characters in the password.

The new password must be different from the old password.

Implementation of this software, as many of you are already aware,
has taken place.  Any Admin or User whose password does not
conform to the format requirements noted above, will be forced
by the system to enter a new password.  This will occur at initial
logon.  Normal TELEMAIL functions cannot be performed until the
password change has been completed.

When an Admin or User changes his password, the date and time of
that change will be recorded.  If passwords have not been changed
after a specified number of days (30), the new software will
force the Admin to enter a new password.  We currently are not
requiring Users to change their passwords every thirty (30) days,
but we strongly recommend this procedure.

We feel that these immediate changes are necessary and, as the
need arises, our security measures will evolve and change.

We sincerely thank you for your cooperation and understanding
and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

		    TELEMAIL Customer Support
		    800/368-3407
		    703/442-1900 (In Virginia)
		    On Line Via 'Compose Hotline'