Should "su" change the USER environment variable?

Tracy Tims twltims at watmath.UUCP
Mon Oct 31 12:29:31 AEST 1983

There are three things I commonly want to do:

	1)	Perform a "layered login".  This is in all ways like a login
		except that when I log out the other user comes back.  (Yes,
		I know how to do this.)
	2)	Become someone that I am authorized to become for purposes of
		mail, news, rogue, etc.  I still want my own shell and env-
		ironment, but I want certain environment variables changed
		consistently to reflect a new "identity".
	3)	Assume ONLY the file access permissions of someone else.  I
		still want my own environment.

I think there should be a set of related commands providing these
functions in some easy to understand way.  It's a pain when using
someone elses UNIX system to have to spend time figuring out what the
local brand of 'su' does.

	Tracy Tims	{linus,allegra,decvax,utcsrgv}!watmath!twltims
			The University of Waterloo, 519-885-1211 x2730