Should "su" change the USER environment variable?

Dave Sherman dave at utcsrgv.UUCP
Fri Oct 28 00:35:58 AEST 1983

su should *not* change the USER environment variable, thank you.
That variable is used for mail and news postings. If I temporarily
want to be someone else for access purposes, I still want my articles
and messags to come from me. If you are really "changing into" the
other person (e.g., you physically have gone away and that other
physical person is using the terminal), then "login" is more
appropriate than "su" anyway.

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo,uw-beaver}!utcsrgv!lsuc!dave