Disabling core dumps

Andrew Glassner glassner at cwruecmp.UUCP
Sun Oct 23 03:54:00 AEST 1983

I currently have a C program which has got some bugs.
One set of bugs causes the program to dump core; it runs
into a segmentation error and it's all over.
I know that the cause of this problem is in the logic of
some code that generates a data structure; there's nothing
to learn from the core dump.
The problem is that sometimes the core dump IS useful for
fixing other errors; I compile with -g so that I can use
sdb to examine variables, etc.
Often though I don't want the core dump.  Unfortunately, the
C program is big and the core dump takes upwards of a minute
or more, which I must spend sitting and waiting for my
terminal to come back.

Question:  Is there some way to suppress a core dump, so that
           when the program bombs I just get the error message
           and my terminal comes back?

Supporting info:  We're running 4.1BSD on a VAX-11/780.

	Thanks!

	-Andrew		Andrew  Glassner    decvax!cwruecmp!glassner