IBM and Univac Unix

LARRY at JPL-VLSI.ARPA LARRY at JPL-VLSI.ARPA
Tue Apr 24 02:39:00 AEST 1984

From:  Larry Carroll <LARRY at JPL-VLSI.ARPA>

I'm using an IBM 3032 under MVS for software development for the Galileo
project (a Siamese-twin satellite, one of which will dive into Jupiter's
atmospher).  I am SICK AND TIRED of IBM JCL--at which, incidentally, I am
an expert user (4 years worth).  I also do work for another satellite
project on a Univac 1100/81 and a VAX.

Are there IBM and Univac versions of Unix that are reasonably close to the
proprietary OSs in performance?  If so, I may go on a crusade here at JPL
to get Unix adopted as a "standard" operating system.

Also, are there shells for the IBM and Univac that will emulate the
proprietary TSO interfaces.  (We use the SPF primarily on the several IBMs
we have.)
		Thanks,		Larry @ jpl-vlsi
------