4.2 progressive or dead end

Derek Andrew derek at sask.UUCP
Wed Apr 11 10:35:58 AEST 1984

We are currently considering converting our Vaxen to 4.2.  One of our
chief reasons is to be compatible with the Unix community.  It seems
that the only hardware that runs 4.2 presently is the Vax, the Sun and
possibly HP.  It seems to us that when the Vax dies, possibly 4.2 dies
with it.

I realize that there are some "improvements" like better filesystem
throughput, better communications, but what else is there?  I do not
like the attitude "oh, how can we change Unix today?" but can feel
its presence in much of the software.

So who out there is actually going to run 4.2?  I know a lot of people
have licensed it, but who is running it?  Why should we switch, or why
should we stick to 4.1?

Please discuss this issue by posting to net.unix-wizards.  I anticipate
that responses to this posting will be much more valuable if they are
discussed here rather than just having me summarize the results.
--
Derek Andrew, ACS, U of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon Saskatchewan, Canada, S7N 0W0
{ihnp4 | utah-cs | utcsrgv | alberta}!sask!derek  306-343-2638  0900-1630 CST