4.2's memory needs on a 750

William L. Sebok wls at astrovax.UUCP
Mon Apr 30 04:33:59 AEST 1984

With our load average tending to run > 10 during the afternoon there was no
way our Vax 750 was going to survive under 4.2 with only 2 Mb.  We got more
memory and are now running 6.5 Mb.  We remember that period as a very miserable
time.  I almost got lynched for bringing up 4.2.  The disturbing thing was that
the system seemed to get quite noticably slow whenever the load average got
above 5.
--
Bill Sebok			Princeton University, Astrophysics
{allegra,akgua,burl,cbosgd,decvax,ihnp4,kpno,princeton,vax135}!astrovax!wls