Hark back to olden days, and Slibc.a...

Dave Ihnat, Chicago, IL ignatz at ihuxx.UUCP
Wed Aug 29 17:53:39 AEST 1984

Hi, folks.

Well, I guess it's my turn to ask for aid.  I'm helping our a friend
with an altos86 running a v7-derivative Unix(Tm, etc.) system.  In the course
of trying to chivvy the 'C' compiler/assembler/linker to actually honor valid
'C' code, I ran into a reputedly multiply-defined symbol: 'locking' (_locking to
the assembler).  This appeared in a library living as '/lib/Slibc.a'.

Ok. I give.  If this isn't some arcane porting change by Altos, then I'm
dipping into depths of Unix library antiquity that predate my association
with our fine system.  Does anyone know, in order:

	1) Whatinhell was Slibc.a?
	2) Whatinhell was the routine 'locking',
		and how should I have used it?

Eagerly awaiting info from my ancestors on the Unix system,
	(actually, I really would like an answer!),

	Dave Ihnat
	ihuxx!ignatz
	(w) (312) 979-0946
	(w) (312) 784-4544