question: any milti generation unix file systems?

rad at MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA rad at MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA
Thu Aug 30 01:04:00 AEST 1984

>>I'm also interested in the merging of UNIX and TOPS-20 -ishness
>>We're playing with an internal-only (so far, ...no promises ever)
>>program named tcsh which sits on top of csh as a filter and does
>>automatic command and pathname expansion like TOPS-20, using
>>ESCAPE and ^D rather than TOPS' ESCAPE and ?
>>since ? is already allocated in UNIX.
>>It's nice...but, sorry, can't release it.

>>If you come up with any public domain TOPS-20'ish programs, I'm interested...

Sunny,

  Sorry I took so long in replying...  Some user-contributed software
distributed with BSD2.9, called newcsh by Ken Greer from HP-Labs does
exactly what you describe.  Plus, it has an optional time-out feature
for automatic logout after selected idle time, terminal mode sanity
checking, and history saving between logouts.

  It requires only minor changes to the csh source (it affects only a
half dozen or so of all of the csh code files), and is otherwise
transparent.  No filters; it's part of csh.  It even flashes the screen
if it can't complete your command.  We've been using it for a month or
so (on bsd4.1); Ken Greer says they've installed it as their standard
csh there.  I think it's great!  (Maybe it should be re-posted to
net.sources?)

Dick Dramstad
(rad at mitre-bedford)