Is there a RAM disk for 4.2 BSD ???

kermit at BRL-VGR.ARPA kermit at BRL-VGR.ARPA
Fri Aug 10 12:12:13 AEST 1984

From:      Chuck Kennedy <kermit at BRL-VGR.ARPA>

We have two RAM disks on our 4.2BSD systems, one connected to a
VAX 780, the other connected to a VAX 750.  The RAM disks (which
we call Bulk MOS units) are DATARAM BS-202 units.  We originally
bought some of these units to help out our PDP-11/70 systems which
benefited greatly.  We've had pretty good luck with the units as
far as reliability, etc.

Now for the bad news.

The Bulk MOS units don't seem to be worth the effort for large virtual
memory machines.  They are not cost-effective when considered against the
choice of buying another dedicated disk for /tmp space.  There is some
performance improvement from using the Bulk MOS since there is no rotational
latency and no seek penalty.  However, for the cost of a Bulk MOS unit, you
can easily buy a dedicated Eagle drive and it's own controller.  I certainly
would not worry about disk head wear.
	Good luck,
	 -Chuck Kennedy