CPU serial numbers

Armando P. Stettner aps at decvax.UUCP
Sun Jan 15 16:07:50 AEST 1984

You know, I answered this once and I think out of the 5 to 8
other responses (most of them of the sort "I think" or "I don't
have the hardware handbook but ..."), only one was correct.
Read the rest of the news group to see if it is answered.  Or maybe,
answer the person directly and let him put an answer he
has verified onto the net.

Once again, *only* the 780 CPU SID register has the serial number
as a field (which is actually some backplane jumpers).  The
other VAXen SID's contain things like microcode revision levels, etc.

The HSC-50 has a F-11 chip set (same as in 11/23 and 24) that
does some request queuing and such and several 2901 based "engines"
that do the actual dealings with the disk and transfers, etc.

	aps.