server for the "little" protocols

mrose%uci-750a at sri-unix.UUCP mrose%uci-750a at sri-unix.UUCP
Sun Jan 29 08:39:13 AEST 1984

From:  Marshall Rose <mrose at uci-750a>

    I have an implementation of a server for 4.2BSD UNIX which
    implements the following "little" protocols:

	echo, sink, daytime, time, users, chargen, qotd, and finger

    It runs as a single daemon which listens on these ports (either TCP
    or UDP).  You can specify which of these services you want to
    offer, so you don't have to use all of them if you don't want to.
    There's also a "whois" client (user-level) program for 4.2BSD UNIX.

    If you're interested, the source is available on UCI-750b
    (192.5.19.2) in the directory pub/inet.  Use anonymous ftp.  Total
    size is 59KB.

/mtr

    ps: the finger server calls a program like Chris Kent's "fing"
    program, it doesn't actually finger anyone itself.  I hear that
    Chris will have a 4.2 version of "fing" available in a couple of
    days or so.  Ask <cak at purdue> for more details...