Domains vs. area addressing

mo at seismo.UUCP mo at seismo.UUCP
Sat Jan 28 23:58:02 AEST 1984

The current proposal to use telephone area codes in uucp host
addresses is a reasonable idea, assuming we deal with the
North American chauvanism by including country codes or some
other thing.  However, calling this "domains" is probably incorrect;
it is most-likely an example of what is generally called
"area addressing" or "sub-area routing."  While it is easy to see
that "Domains" are related and similar, that word already has
very specific meanings in a larger context and I suggest we not
overload it or further blurr its meaning. The difference between
domains and area addressing lies in the notion that domains are,
in general, distinct universes, either because of the mail protocols
used and/or because of administrative partitions.  Domains are the
basis whereby a small number of distinct entities can agree to
interconnect mail universes with only a very few people directly
involved.  I would suggest that Usenet and the UUCP network on which
it is based want to present a single domain to the rest of the mail
world if interconnectivity is to be fostered.

On to area addressing:  the idea is simple, like the one proposed.
(The name "area code" did not come from nowhere, nor did the
name "area addressing.") If the namespace of the network is so large
that maintaining routing information everywhere is onerous (especially
like in implictly or explictly source-routed networks), the notion
is to adopt a heirarchical partitioning of the address: an area
address, and an address within the area.  Then  hosts only have to deal
with two cases: (1) direct destination addressing and routing for
destination addresses within its area, and (2) knowing how to forward traffic
for areas other than its own.  If that this point
you ask "How is this different from domains?" I have to answer
"Technically, very little.  Politically, a great deal."

So, I support using a pre-existing metric for adding area addressing
to UUCP host names, and the telephonic country and area codes are
well-established choices.  They are even in-line with CCITT guidelines!!
But I also strongly suggest abandoning the use of the word "domain"
except in very explicit contexts and making such an addressing
decision an UUCP network internal matter.

	Yours for more reliable mail,
	-Mike O'Dell