^B and ^C in tbl output

phil%rice at sri-unix.UUCP phil%rice at sri-unix.UUCP
Sun Jan 22 09:11:58 AEST 1984

From:  William LeFebvre <phil at rice>

Let me catch myself before everyone starts flaming me...

After defining a few macros, tbl sets up some number registers to help
determine the widest string for a field.  At that point, it IS using a
control B as a delimiter.  After the ".fc" statement, it uses control B
and control C as field and padding characters.  Since the ^B is only
used as a delimiter for strings to "\w", the main thrust of the message
still applies.  You have to use something for a delimiter.  The only
time that [nt]roff will get confused is when there is a ^B in the
string in the "\w" and why would there be one there?  For that matter,
why would there be a ^B anywhere in the normal text of the document?

                                William LeFebvre
                                ARPANet and CSNet: phil at rice
                                USENet:  ...!lbl-csam!rice!phil