4.2 BSD UNIX Domain IPC

ron%brl-vgr at sri-unix.UUCP ron%brl-vgr at sri-unix.UUCP
Thu Jan 5 14:37:42 AEST 1984

From:      Ron Natalie <ron at brl-vgr>

Looking at all the "socket" inodes that are left in directories one
day, we got to wishing that you could just open them and have the
connection to the server process.  Not seeming to be an insurmountable
task, I set forth to do it.  It involves changing the hook in the
open routine and about 30 lines of code to cause a magic connection
on the open.  The only problem is that even though opening the "socket"
files uses the standard file system protections using the conventional
socket/connect method to the same inode bypasses the access check.

Therefore, I have to decide on how to disable socket/connect on these
socket/inodes.  The two front runners are to change the address family
to something like AF_FILE or to change the socket type to SOCK_FILE.
I am accepting suggestions.  The best of the earliest submissions will
be implemented.

Code available on request.

-Ron