IBM Bisync software needed

BillJohnston at BRL-VGR.ARPA BillJohnston at BRL-VGR.ARPA
Thu Jan 5 10:59:45 AEST 1984

I need software (and comments on any associated hardware) that
will speak to an IBM (VM/CMS and/or MVS) system from UNIX. I assume
that the link layer protocol is Bisync, but beyond that I don't
know what to expect on the IBM end. We would like to have,
at least, virtual terminal capability (initiated from the UNIX end).
I need to know if talking to a Bisync line require anything more than a special
modem (analogous to a time division or statistical multiplexer, the presence
of which is transparent to UNIX since the UNIX side looks like
an async, serial line)?
Any tutorial comments would also be appreciated. Responses should probably
be made directly to me, if they seem to be of general interest, I will
collect and post a summary to the net.
Thanks in advance;
  Bill Johnston, Computer Science Dept., Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
  johnston at lbl-csam
  uucp: lbl-csam!johnston (through ucbvax)