Checking for new mail...

dan at rna.UUCP dan at rna.UUCP
Tue Jan 17 04:40:31 AEST 1984

	Well to answer my own question, at least partially...
	Berkeley Mail does hand fiddle the atime of the mail file, either
by utime() or by sleep(), open(), read(), as I had guessed. Csh know about
this and gets new mail right.
	USG mail doesn't fiddle with atime, and (at the version I have of)
the Bourne shell can't tell the difference between new mail and a partially
deleted old mail file. Terrible.
	It just seems strange that you can't tell if the last program that
touched a file did only writes, and that mail has to hand fiddle the atime
of a file to get new mail to flag unambiguously.

					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					...cmcl2!rna!dan