Getting the most from 'more'

Gary Samuelson garys at bunkerb.UUCP
Tue Jan 31 04:55:33 AEST 1984

Scott Miller write:

	UNIXes grand-pappy (Multics) also has output paging, only
it's in the tty driver.  Wonderous things like page length, line length,
etc. are all selectable (and DE-selectable) via 'stty'.
	I don't agree that such things belong any lower than a user
program, though.  Why hang a bag on the side of the Kernel to save the
extra typing of '|p' ??

	-Scott

OK, make all user programs perform paging if the output is a TTY.
You don't want to change every user program in existence?  Neither
do I.  Let's change something that they all use whenever writing
to a TTY.  Now what is it that all programs use when writing to
a TTY?  The TTY driver.

Is it true that UNIX only has two levels, kernel and user program?
Other OS's have several.  I would not consider a device driver as
part of the kernel, but maybe there is no such distinction in UNIX.

Why make a change to save typing?  Because people don't exist to
reduce the work computers have to do; computers exist to reduce
the work people have to do.

Gary Samuelson
ittvax!bunker!bunkerb!garys