Size of 4.2 Swap Spaces

mike at RICE.ARPA mike at RICE.ARPA
Tue Jul 10 03:25:29 AEST 1984

From:  Mike Caplinger <mike at RICE.ARPA>

So far as I can tell, the utilization of swap space has gotten poorer
under 4.2.  We frequently run out running the same job mix that worked
fine under 4.1.  Try a "pstat -s" and look at the "wasted" parameter;
it gets large.  I've heard this is because 4.2 now uses a fast but
space-wasteful swap space allocator that generates lots of
fragmentation.  I don't know why they didn't leave it alone.  Does
anybody want to confess to doing this, or knowing what was done?

	- Mike