/bin/sh feature?

bsafw at ncoast.UUCP bsafw at ncoast.UUCP
Tue Jul 31 14:45:53 AEST 1984

	The EOF being taken as a terminating quote, I agree is bad practice.
But I have had to invoke a subshell of /bin/sh (I normally run csh) to do the
following:

awk '$1 ~ /something/ {do_something}
     $1 ~ /something_else/ {do_something_else} ' <infile >outfile

because awk requires them on separate lines and because it was a one-time job
and I didn't want to have to create a file to -f with.  Just because you're
a Berkeley freak, don't deride useful features of the "old" shell! :-)
(the above probably belongs in net.flame; your turn with the napalm...)

--
		Brandon Allbery: decvax!cwruecmp{!atvax}!bsafw
		  6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, OH 44131

		  Witness, n.  To watch and learn, joyously.