Vax 785 performance query

paul at msdc.UUCP paul at msdc.UUCP
Tue Jul 31 06:42:39 AEST 1984

I am getting ready to recommend the purchase of some additional
computing power to one of our customers.  What I need to recommend
is the power of 6 Vax 750s (4.x BSD) to support hundreds of users
crunching away on a few applications.  This customer already has
3 Vax 750's installed.  Some of the choices are to recommend 6 750's,
3 780's, ? 785's or some number of Pyramid 90x's (4.2BSD being a key
issue here).  What I don't know is any comparison between the Vax 785
and anything else aside from the initial published DEC speculations.

I am hoping to find someone out there in netland with some experience
running 4.2 / Ultrix on a 785 that can compare performance with the
other Vaxen or the Pyramid.  We have a benchmark suite written here
(somewhat specific to our application size and load) whose results on
on the 750, 780, and Pyramid I would be willing to trade for benchmark
results on the 785.

Please mail help to:

	Paul Manno
	Medical Systems Development Corp.