Diskless Unix?

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Sun Jul 8 07:10:54 AEST 1984

It is not economically feasible to have enough fast memory to
do away with bulk slow memory.  This tradeoff has existed since
the beginning of computing and always will exist, unless memory
becomes so good and cheap that it becomes a "free" resource.
Diskless systems normally require fast network access to files
stored elsewhere (on a "file server" for example).

We do put /tmp on a "RAM disk" for speed whenever possible.
I have also known installations to do this with /bin.