Diskless Unix?

Milan Strnad advisor at utcsstat.UUCP
Fri Jul 6 07:42:53 AEST 1984

When I hear the expression, "Diskless Unix", I immediately think
of zero disk drives. If you have enough memory, you can mount your
file system(s) onto/into memory, thus avoiding seeks (latency hurts)
and read times. No longer need your unix be i/o bound. Of course,
if your memory ever gets wiped out (power failure, etc.) you may
have a problem. How about bubble memory?

Problem is, of course, the inability to address the amount of memory
you would need to hold all of your files. So you can have something
inbetween, like putting /tmp into memory, or some other similar
combo. Any comments?

milan strnad (..utcsstat!advisor)