Controlling system security with a keyswitch

zellich at ALMSA-1.ARPA zellich at ALMSA-1.ARPA
Sun Jul 22 16:14:00 AEST 1984

From:      Rich Zellich <zellich at ALMSA-1.ARPA>

I still don't know why anyone would want to \use/ a keyswitch on a terminal,
workstation, or computer and I've never seen any of ours turned off, much less
have the key removed from the lock, but as to why a manufacturer would \provide/
a key lock that's simple:  too many false-security-minded people insist on
having them and you can't sell a box that doesn't have one if the invitation
to bid (or whatever) calls for it.  We spent a small fortune having a bunch
of our older terminals retro-fitted because somebody who was appointed to
a security position, but didn't understand security, insisted the DoD and Army
regulations mandated key locks (they don't; it's just one of many things you
\may/ do to provide physical security according to the applicable reg's).