Emulex SC780/Fujitsu Eagle 4.1bsd query

chris at umcp-cs.UUCP chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Mon Jun 25 09:41:05 AEST 1984

*	From: goldfarb at ucf-cs.UUCP

	We will be receiving a SC780 and a Fujitsu Eagle shortly,

	1)  While the hp.c in 4.2 has a table, etc., for the Eagle,
	    4.1 does not.  Thus, it would appear that if I am to
	    run the drive with 4.1 I must get the B2 firmware for
	    the SC780 unless I want to hack hp.c.  Is this true?
	    (The B2 firmware supports 44 sectors per track and
	    wastefully emulates two RP06's).

I don't think you have to get the B2 firmware.  Our SC780 (apparently
with B3 software---nobody mentioned anything about revisions) was
settable to any of a bunch of emulations.  But by all means, hack
hp.c for 48 sectors/track.

	2)  If the answer to 1) is yes, does anyone have a hacked
	    hp.c that works with the B3 firmware?  If so I'd
	    appreciate a set of diffs.

Sure.  (``It's in the mail'' --sorry)

	3)  Is the B3 firmware the way to go with 4.2bsd?  It would
	    seem so since it handles 48 sector tracks and allows
	    414 Mbytes of storage; also, the table in hp.c appears
	    to be set up with this emulation (extended RM80) in
	    mind.

I would say so.  It only took a few minutes to put in tables for
the ``RM02'' 48 spt drive.  It took about an hour to hack up config,
hp.c, and dkbad.c to support both NOBADSECT *and* bad sector
forwarding simultaneously; we didn't want to lose the extra space
off our RP06s just to be able to run the Emulex, so we run both
instead.

[Note: we're still running 4.1.  I haven't looked at the 4.2 hp.c.]
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci (301) 454-7690
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland