_print/_doprnt; curses on sys III

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Tue Jun 26 15:36:51 AEST 1984

> It is standard System III. AT&T finally wised up to how much software
> broke when they took _doprnt away, and made it come back in System V.
> Not that this helps you any, but.....

Well, I looked, and "_doprnt" is back; in S5R2, they also provide the "vprintf",
"vfprintf", and "vsprintf" interfaces that were in S3 as distributed (and which
can be used instead of "_doprnt"), but were ripped out of S5.  "_doprnt" is,
alas, not in every implementation of standard I/O, so software which uses
it will still break under some implementations.  Alas, there is no portable
way to write routines which take "printf"-like call interfaces; neither
"v*printf" nor "_doprnt" are guaranteed to be there ("v*printf" were in the
distributed S3, but not documented).

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy