incremental file remove?

Network admin alias usenet at usceast.UUCP
Sat Jun 16 16:28:40 AEST 1984

<bailing out near line 1>
Often (well sometimes), I will have a big file in a tight filesystem that
I want to transform in some way ( say a tar file I want to extract or a
batched news file I want to unbatch) , and have the results go in the same
filesystem. When space is really tight I find myself having to go through
all sorts of contortions to do this, even though the results would easily
fit , IF the original file weren't still there.

I wonder if any of y'all out there have a way of making a file erase itself
as it is read. Speed or efficiency isn't too important.  I can always nohup it
and go home.

			Thanks
		Ted Nolan			...usceast!ted